MSc in Biomedical Device Materials
Write to us for more information
The master’s program is designed to produce highly qualified graduates who have a thorough understanding of instrumentation involved in the analysis and characterization of materials along with a detailed knowledge of materials science and processing. Specialized modules and a specialized research project will allow students to receive comprehensive information on biomedical device materials and how they interact with the human body.
With the knowledge base gained during this program, graduates could expect to work in the rapidly evolving high-tech biomedical device industry or continue their education up to the doctoral level.
The objectives of the program are:
Provide science, engineering, and technology graduates with a competitive advantage for a career in biomedical device companies.
Providing graduates with key analytical skills and knowledge in the latest metallurgical and biopolymer technologies, preparing them for a career in biomedical device R&D and / or product design.
Develop graduates with excellence in the capacity of Materials Science and Engineering to underpin national and international industrial development.
There are more than 250 medical technology companies in Ireland, exporting products worth € 7.9 billion a year, making Ireland the second largest exporter of medical technology devices in Europe and employing 25,000 people. Future projections for the healthcare industry have identified the need for expertise related to materials in regenerative medicine and bioprocessing. The Irish Medical Device Association states that “The medical technology industry in Ireland is changing from being predominantly manufacturing to being more complex and R&D driven”, and this new program is designed to empower people to believe and participate in that change.
Semester 1 – Fall
Advanced Material Characterization 1
Advanced materials processing
Management systems standards
Electives (choose one)
- Biomaterials Science
- Polymers for biomedical devices
Semester 2 – Spring
- Advanced Material Characterization 2
- Challenges of Materials Science Research
- Materials project 1
Electives (choose one)
- Biomaterials 2
- Biomaterial Science: Polymer Therapeutics
Semester 3 – Summer
- Materials project 2
- Applicants for a master’s program must normally have a level 8 honors bachelor’s degree (NFQ or other internationally recognized equivalent) in a science, physics, or engineering subject (s) or equivalent prior learning recognized by the University as meeting with this requirement.
- In the case of international candidates, the foreign equivalent is required. In addition, a degree officially translated into English will be required.
- IELTS 6.5, with no less than 6 in any component (or its internationally recognised equivalent).
Learn more about our educational offer
More than 10,000 students have put their trust in us
Study and work abroad, live this experience that will change your life