MSc in Biology – Molecular Cell Biology with Bioinnovation
Write to us for more information
The MSc in Molecular Cell Biology with Bioinnovation is a unique course aimed at highly motivated students with an interest in biomedical research in the areas of cancer biology, infection/immunity or molecular neuroscience and entrepreneurial thinking. The course will provide you with a truly interdisciplinary educational experience by combining advanced discipline-specific training with basic scientific research, technical expertise and commercial skills.
A distinctive feature of the MSc in Molecular Cell Biology with Bioinnovation is that you will receive formal training in innovation and technology commercialisation through modules from the UCC Faculty of Business and Law.
With three main research themes: cancer biology, infection/immunity and molecular neuroscience, you will select projects with internationally renowned research groups from the Schools of Biochemistry, Microbiology and the Department of Anatomy/Neuroscience, after completing discipline-specific modules.
You will not only possess excellent technical and research skills upon graduation, but also the necessary business development and commercialisation skills for life science innovation.
You’ll be ideally placed to enter a PhD after graduation, but you could also pursue a range of career paths, including that of technology transfer officer within higher education institutions and national agencies, R&D project manager, commercialisation manager within a life sciences start-up or manager within the pharmaceutical sector. The course will also equip you with the skills needed to develop your own start-up company.
A first destination survey of our inaugural class of 2012-13 has revealed that 100% of graduates have employment or higher education within one year of completing the M.S. in Molecular Cell Biology with Bioinnovation.
The course consists of lectures, tutorials, practical workshops and a research thesis based on individual research.
- Cellular and molecular biology
- Human molecular genetics and genetic engineering techniques
- Biological and clinical perspectives on human disease.
- Scientific communication of current topics in molecular cell biology.
- Marketing for High-Tech Entrepreneurs
- Technology and business planning
- Recognition of creativity and opportunity
- Financing innovation
- Intellectual Property Law for High-Tech Entrepreneurs
- Applicants must hold a BSc Honours degree (NFQ Level 8) in Biological Sciences, Medicine or Pharmaceutical Sciences.
- In the case of international candidates, the foreign equivalent is required. In addition, a degree officially translated into English will be required.
- IELTS 6.5, with no less than 6 in any component (or its internationally recognised equivalent).
Other requirements to take into account:
- academic qualifications (in a relevant academic discipline).
- experience and research approach.
- quality of the personal statement.
- letters of recommendation from two academic referees.
Learn more about our educational offer
More than 10,000 students have put their trust in us
Study and work abroad, live this experience that will change your life