BSc (Hons) Mathematics and Physics
Write to us for more information
This full-time programme lasts four years. The first two years are a combination of the core modules taken on both the BSc in Mathematical Sciences and the BSc in Applied Physics at UL.
In these first two years the fundamental aspects of physics and mathematics are established. Physics subjects will include topics such as Mechanics, Waves, Light, Thermal Physics, Electromagnetism and Modern Physics, which covers the scope of current basic understanding in physics. In addition, more applied subjects are optics and semiconductors, which are essential to modern technology.
During the spring semester of the third year, a period of co-operative education (industry placement) gives you practical experience in a relevant work environment. It is organised by the University’s Department of Co-operative Education in collaboration with representatives from various industries, both in Ireland and abroad. Students are interviewed by company representatives. Upon selection, they are offered full-time employment during the Co-operative Education period and are paid at a competitive rate.
During the final year a project is undertaken which allows for an in-depth analysis of a particular problem. This also gives students interested in postgraduate research the opportunity to conduct exploratory research into a potential research topic.
- Common entrance
- Waves / Light / Modern Physics
- Semiconductor devices
- Calculation 2
- More linear algebra
- Introduction to Probability and Statistics
- Linear analysis methods
- Vector analysis
- Ordinary Differential Equations
- Modern Physics
- Thermal Physics
- Introduction to numerical analysis
- Partial Differential Equations
- Quantum Mechanics
- Physics of solids
- Introduction to Fluid Mechanics
- Complex analysis
- Atomic / molecular / laser physics
- Numerical solutions for PDE
- Linear Algebra 2
- Probability models
- Cooperative education
- Solid State Physics 1
- Mathematics of natural phenomena
- Perturbation technology. and asymptotics
- Math and Physics Project 1
- Nanotechnology 1
- Modern measurement physics
- Solid State Physics 2
- Dynamic systems
- Mathematical model
- Math and Physics Project 2
- Nanotechnology 2
- Medical Instrumentation
Employability skills of this degree
- Design and conduct observational and experimental studies.
- Analyze and interpret data, find patterns and draw conclusions.
- Dealing with abstract concepts.
- Present mathematical arguments and conclusions with precision and clarity.
- Advanced arithmetic and analysis of large amounts of data.
- Logical thinking.
- Arithmetic: mathematical models, interpreting and presenting information graphically and using mathematics to find solutions to scientific problems.
- IT skills, including specialist software packages and some programming.
- Attention to detail.
- Communication: conveying complex ideas and using technical language correctly.
- Applicants will require a baccalaureate degree officially translated into English.
- IELTS 6.0 or higher (or internationally recognised equivalent).
- TOEFL 580 (paper-based) or 90 (online).
- UL has approved the use of the Duolingo English Test (DET) as a temporary measure for 2021/2 admission (due to test center closures). The minimum requirement will be a DET score of 110. An interview may be required along with this for certain programs.
Applicants must possess at the time of enrolment the prescribed Certificate of Completion (or an approved equivalent) with a minimum of six subjects which must include: two H5 (Higher Level) grades and four O6 (Ordinary Level) grades or four H7 (Higher Level) grades. Subjects must include Mathematics, Irish or another language.
In addition, applicants must have a minimum grade of O3/H7 in Mathematics and a grade of H4 in any of the following: Agricultural Sciences, Applied Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Physics with Chemistry.
Learn more about our educational offer
More than 10,000 students have put their trust in us
Study and work abroad, live this experience that will change your life