BSc (Hons) Geology
Write to us for more information
It includes investigations into the nature and composition of the Earth’s outer crust, as well as a study of its deep interior. These studies allow us to understand the formation and occurrence of important natural resources such as coal, oil, gas, groundwater and mineral deposits.
The study of geology allows us to understand natural geohazards such as earthquakes, volcanic eruptions and tsunamis. It also allows us to look back in time at the earth’s climate.
There is currently a global shortage of geology graduates. In recent years, graduates have gained employment in the field of environmental geology and have worked at home or abroad in various fields such as infrastructure and engineering projects, geotechnical site investigations, hydrogeology, landfill management and environmental impact and protection.
Our graduates are currently in high demand and are being actively recruited by hydrocarbon and mineral exploration companies, ensuring unrivalled opportunities to work abroad.
Jobs taken by UCC Geology graduates include:
- Coal exploration geologists in Australia
- Opencast geologist in Western Australia
- Exploration Geologist in Western Australia
- PhD in Geochemistry in New Zealand
- Mining geologist in Australia
- Hydrogeologist in the UK
- Exploration geologist in Western Australia and Zambia
The BSc Geology course assumes no prior knowledge of the subject, but by taking this course, you will learn something of the processes that have formed this planet – spanning 4.5 billion years – and those that allow humans and life, as we know it, to exist on Earth.
- Environmental Geology
- Geological evolution of Great Britain and Ireland
- Geology (students study eight modules)
Students also undertake a field research project on an aspect of:
- Petroleum Geology
- Environmental Geophysics
- Economic Geology
- Hydrogeology Micropaleontology.
*Module availability may change from year to year.
- As a general requirement, a Bachelor’s Degree / High School Diploma / General Baccalaureate / Vocational Degree from a recognized university, with subjects in mathematics and laboratory science, is required.
- In the case of international candidates, the foreign equivalent is required. In addition, a degree officially translated into English will be required.
- IELTS 6.5, with no less than 6 in any component (or its internationally recognised equivalent).
Learn more about our educational offer
More than 10,000 students have put their trust in us
Study and work abroad, live this experience that will change your life