BSc (Hons) Chemistry & Biochemical Engineering
Write to us for more information
The School of Chemical and Biochemical Engineering BE at the University of Limerick provides an exciting, intellectually challenging and educationally rigorous degree programme leading to a professionally recognised qualification and good employment prospects in any of a variety of stable, sustainable and well-paid careers.
This programme is the only course of its kind in the Midwest and West Country regions. Process engineering is the core area of expertise that underpins many important and sustainable industries and businesses within the Irish and global economies. These businesses include: biopharmaceuticals, fuels, chemicals and drug manufacturing, energy production, food and beverage processing, environmental waste disposal and electronic component manufacturing.
Employability skills of this degree are:
- Problem solving and analytical skills
- Project Management
- Using leadership skills
- Attention to detail
- Communication and presentation skills
- Ability to develop manufacturing processes for a wide variety of products
This four-year honours programme comprises formal lectures/studies, practical laboratories, workshops, training in industry standard process engineering software, project work as well as a substantial period of Co-operative Education working on an industrial placement.
- Engineering Mathematics 1
- General Chemistry 1
- Physics for Engineers 1
- Process Engineering Computing
- Principles of chemical engineering
- Mathematical Engineering 2
- Engineered Materials
- Organic chemistry 1: functional groups
- Physics for Engineers 2
- Physical Chemistry 1: Thermodynamics and Kinetics
- Mathematical Engineering 3
- Fluid mechanics and heat transfer
- Organic Chemistry 2
- Bioprocess Engineering 1
- Mathematical Engineering 4
- Process technology: instrumentation, control
- Physical Chemistry 3: Phase Equilibria
- Plant and process management
- Chemical engineering design methods
- Design of Experiments
- Reaction engineering and reactor design
- Mass transfer separations
- Process Flow Diagram, unit dimensioning, software
- Thermodynamics of Chemical Engineering
- Cooperative education
- Sustainable energy processes
- Pharmaceutical Formulation
- Bioprocess engineering 2
- Research project
- Design project 1
- Batch process engineering (pharmaceutical)
- Fluid Process Control
- Advanced transport processes
- Process troubleshooting
- Design project 2
*Module availability may change from year to year.
- Applicants must possess at the time of enrolment the prescribed Certificate of Completion (or an approved equivalent) with a minimum of six subjects which must include: two H5 (Higher Level) grades and four O6 (Ordinary Level) grades or four H7 (Higher Level) grades. Subjects must include Mathematics, Irish or other language and English.
- In the case of international candidates, the foreign equivalent is required. In addition, a degree officially translated into English will be required.
- IELTS 6.5, with no less than 6 in any component (or its internationally recognised equivalent).
Learn more about our educational offer
More than 10,000 students have put their trust in us
Study and work abroad, live this experience that will change your life