BSC (Honours) in Computer Science (B.Sc. in Computer Information Systems/Computer Game Development/Mobile Communications and Security)
Write to us for more information
The Computer Systems program at UL aims to equip you with the knowledge and skills to become a successful and effective computer professional.
Many advanced and highly sophisticated software-intensive systems underpin the modern world. For example, software-based systems play an important role in all kinds of systems, including smart cities, smart homes, social networks, manufacturing, finance, education, medicine, transportation, and entertainment.
On completion of the programme, graduates go on to a variety of interesting and rewarding software careers based in large and small organisations, in industry, in research and in education and training. As always, the main focus of this course is on the underlying principles of software development and their application to modern software development practices. In particular, we want you to secure a firm and lasting intellectual foundation that will enable you to acquire new and specific technical skills throughout your career. The course is designed to provide you with ample opportunities to learn and apply knowledge in small tutorials and practical groups.
Aims and objectives of the Computer Information Systems programme
- Develop the skills necessary to analyze a wide range of problems.
- Provide a solid understanding of computer science theory and software development principles.
- Be a competent professional in the fields of artificial intelligence and data science.
- To develop social and communicative skills that will allow them to successfully to perform successfully in organizations and teams.
- Develop a sense of professionalism that will help you apply your skills for the good of society.
- The entry route to Computer Systems at UL is through LM121 Computer Science Common Entry.
On completion of the programme, graduates go on to a variety of interesting and rewarding software careers based in large and small organisations, in industry, in research and in education and training. As always, the main focus of this course is on the underlying principles of software development and their application to modern software development practices.
- Representation and modeling
- Introduction to programming
- Fundamentals of Computer Science 1
- Fundamentals of IT organization
- Discrete Mathematics
- Game modeling design
- Software development
- Fundamentals of Computer Science 2
- Organization of the computer system
- Computer Mathematics 2
- Object-oriented development
- Operating systems
- Database systems
- Software testing and inspection
- Software requirements and modeling
- Intelligent systems
- Event-driven scheduling
- Data structures and algorithms
- Computer Graphics
- Statistics for Computing
- Cooperative education
- Project management and practice
- Professional problems in computer science
- Mobile application development
- Software development project
- Machine learning: methods and applications
- Computer systems project 1
- System analysis and design
- Advanced programming concepts and practices
- Big Data Management and Security
- Neural Computation
- Computer systems project 2 (double weighting)
- Software Design and Architecture
- Programming language technology
- Data processing
*Module availability may change from year to year.
- Applicants must possess at the time of enrolment the prescribed Certificate of Completion (or an approved equivalent) with a minimum of six subjects which must include: two H5 (Higher Level) grades and four O6 (Ordinary Level) grades or four H7 (Higher Level) grades. Subjects must include Mathematics, Irish or other language and English.
- In the case of international candidates, the foreign equivalent is required. In addition, a degree officially translated into English will be required.
- IELTS 6.5, with no less than 6 in any component (or its internationally recognised equivalent).
Learn more about our educational offer
More than 10,000 students have put their trust in us
Study and work abroad, live this experience that will change your life