Bachelor in Video Game Development
Write to us for more information
The computer games industry program is an exciting field, currently outpacing the film industry worldwide. Computer game development is innovative and exciting from a technological and creative perspective, providing career opportunities for imaginative, logical and energetic students. Graduates will have the satisfaction of seeing their work enjoyed by a global audience. You will learn the art and science of computer game programming and design. The entry route to Computer Games Development at UL is through the Computer Science Common Entrance LM121.
This program will equip you with the skills and technological capability to develop systems related to computer games and graphics, You will study Computer Science, with special emphasis on topics relevant to Game Design such as software development, mobile devices, computer graphics and artificial intelligence and gain skills in:
- Understand the basics of computer graphics software
- Work in teams and liaise with other professionals to complete complex software-based game projects.
- You will work creatively and problem solving
- Communication (written and verbal)
- You will develop skills in cinematography and story writing.
- Cultural awareness: developing games appropriate for international markets
- Strong technical capability and software development skills
- Object-oriented design
- Mobile applications
- Data structures and algorithms
In the first year, the entry route to computer games development will have emphasis in Year 1 is programming, is an appreciation of its basis in the study of the physical machine on which programs run. In Year 2, and in the first semester of Year 3, the programme will expand your knowledge in general software development.
In the second semester of the third year, you will have the opportunity to apply the knowledge you have learnt and increase your awareness of the computer games workplace and at the same time allow you to develop your social and business skills.
In the fourth year, you will undertake a major independent project in the area. Typically, this will involve the development of one or more software components of a computer game, or the development of a complete game using existing software components.
- Representation and modeling
- Introduction to programming
- Fundamentals of Computer Science 1
- Fundamentals of IT organization
- Discrete Mathematics
- Game modeling design
- Software development
- Fundamentals of Computer Science 2
- Organization of the computer system
- Computer Mathematics 2
- Object-oriented development
- Operating systems
- Database systems
- Software testing and inspection
- Games for global markets
- Intelligent systems
- Event-driven scheduling
- Data structures and algorithms
- Computer Graphics
- Statistics for Computing
- Project management and practice
- Professional problems in computer science
- Mobile application development
- Artificial intelligence for games
- Machine learning: methods and applications
- Cooperative education
- Computer systems project 1
- System analysis and design
- Neural Computation
- Computer Graphics II: Tools and Techniques
- Simultaneity and parallelism in software development
- Computer systems project 2 (double weighting)
- Software Design and Architecture
- Analysis of writing games
- Data processing
- Applicants must possess at the time of enrolment the prescribed Certificate of Completion (or an approved equivalent) with a minimum of six subjects which must include: two H5 (Higher Level) grades and four O6 (Ordinary Level) grades or four H7 (Higher Level) grades. Subjects must include Mathematics, Irish or other language and English.
- In the case of international candidates, the foreign equivalent is required. In addition, a degree officially translated into English will be required.
- IELTS 6.5, with no less than 6 in any component (or its internationally recognised equivalent).
Learn more about our educational offer
More than 10,000 students have put their trust in us
Study and work abroad, live this experience that will change your life