Write to us for more information
The University’s School of Aeronautical Engineering opens the door to the exciting aerospace industry. This elite field is one of the most respected in Europe and is supported by excellent facilities, including wind tunnels and composite manufacturing equipment. At the moment, job prospects have never been better for aerospace engineers, with a significant shortage in Europe. Over 70% of our graduates work in the aerospace industry and 63% live in the Republic of Ireland.
This program provides, a training to Our graduates who have reached the highest levels of the aerospace industry and the job prospects have never been brighter for aerospace engineers. In the third year, high-achieving students can spend a semester at the world-renowned Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University in Florida, USA, or at the Georgia Institute of Technology in Atlanta, USA, which is currently ranked among the top 5 engineering schools in the USA.
Employability skills of this degree are:
- Develop expertise in areas including aerodynamics, stress engineering, materials and structures, and sustainable aircraft design.
- Working effectively in multinational teams.
- Use creativity to establish innovative solutions.
- Manage the design process and evaluate the results.
- Meet the changing needs of customers.
- Arithmetic, computer skills and attention to detail.
- Project management.
- Communication (written and verbal).
- Development of economically viable, ethically sound and sustainable solutions.
The Bachelor of Engineering (BE) and Master of Engineering (ME) programs have a duration of 4 years and 5 years, respectively. Both include an eight-month period of co-operative education in an appropriate industrial environment. The course provides a broad and practical programme of study, giving you a good understanding of aircraft design, aerodynamics, structures, propulsion, control, materials, avionics, business and maintenance, and enabling you to work in all sectors of the aerospace industry.
The programme is fully ECTS (European Credit Transfer System) compliant, allowing student mobility across Europe. In addition, students wishing to transfer from the Level 6 or Level 7 Engineering programmes can access the second or third year of the programme.
The first two years provide you with a foundation in the fundamental disciplines of engineering, and subjects taught include:
- Air transport management
- Materials Science
- Introduction to Engineering
- Technological production
- Aircraft maintenance
- Mechanical Engineering
- CAD (computer aided design)
- Fluid mechanics
- Electrical Engineering
The eight-month industry placement occurs at the end of the second year. The University has links throughout the aviation industry, which has enabled students to be placed with prestigious aerospace companies such as Boeing and Airbus.
During the third and final year, all students take fundamental aeronautical engineering subjects such as:
- Flight mechanics
- Aircraft design
- Aircraft Stability and Control
- Aircraft propulsion
- Aircraft Structures
The Flight Mechanics module deserves special mention as the laboratory element of this course is conducted in flight. A series of flight exercises are carried out over the course of a week, in a twin-engine turboprop aircraft, where students are provided with individual consoles to monitor the performance of the aircraft.
In fourth year, ME students will have the opportunity to apply their knowledge of aircraft design in the Design, Build and Fly project. Over the course of two semesters, students must design, build and fly a model aircraft that must meet specifications set annually by the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA).
*Module availability may change from year to year.
- Applicants must possess at the time of enrolment the prescribed Certificate of Completion (or an approved equivalent) with a minimum of six subjects which must include: two H5 (Higher Level) grades and four O6 (Ordinary Level) grades or four H7 (Higher Level) grades. Subjects must include Mathematics, Irish or other language and English.
- In the case of international candidates, the foreign equivalent is required. In addition, a degree officially translated into English will be required.
- IELTS 6.5, with no less than 6 in any component (or its internationally recognised equivalent).
Learn more about our educational offer
More than 10,000 students have put their trust in us
Study and work abroad, live this experience that will change your life